Heating-Ventilation-Air-Conditioning (HVAC) Systems free estimates. The main purposes of a Heating-Ventilation and Air-Conditioning (HVAC) system are to help maintain good indoor air quality through adequate ventilation with filtration and provide thermal comfort. HVAC systems are among the largest energy consumers in schools. The choice and design of the HVAC system can also affect many other high performance goals, including water consumption (water cooled air conditioning equipment) and acoustics.
The following actions detail how engineers can design a quality system that is cost-competitive with traditional ventilation designs, while successfully providing an appropriate quantity and quality of outdoor air, lower energy costs, and easier maintenance.
Central, ‘all-air’ air conditioning systems (or package systems) with a combined outdoor condenser/evaporator unit are often installed in modern residences, offices, and public buildings, but are difficult to retrofit (install in a building that was not designed to receive it) because of the bulky air ducts required.
An alternative to heating-ventilation-air-conditioning central systems is the use of separate indoor and outdoor coils in split systems. These HVAC systems, although most often seen in residential applications, are gaining popularity in small commercial buildings. The evaporator coil is connected to a remote condenser unit using refrigerant piping between an indoor and outdoor unit instead of ducting air directly from the outdoor unit. Indoor units with directional vents mount onto walls, suspended from ceilings, or fit into the ceiling. Other indoor units mount inside the ceiling cavity, so that short lengths of duct handle air from the indoor unit to vents or diffusers around the rooms.
Dehumidification (air drying) in an air conditioning system is provided by the evaporator. Since the evaporator operates at a temperature below dew point, moisture in the air condenses on the evaporator coil tubes. This moisture is collected at the bottom of the evaporator in a pan and removed by piping to a central drain or onto the ground outside. A dehumidifier is an air-conditioner-like device that controls the humidity of a room or building. It is often employed in basements which have a higher relative humidity because of their lower temperature (and propensity for damp floors and walls). In food retailing establishments, large open chiller cabinets are highly effective at dehumidifying the internal air. Conversely, a humidifier increases the humidity of a building.
Selection of HVAC Equipment
In most parts of the country, climatic conditions require that outdoor air must be heated and cooled to provide acceptable Heating-Ventilation-Air-Conditioning thermal comfort for building occupants, requiring the addition of HVAC systems. The selection of equipment for heating, cooling and ventilating the school building is a complex design decision that must balance a great many factors, including heating and cooling needs, energy efficiency, humidity control, potential for natural ventilation, adherence to codes and standards, outdoor air quantity and quality, indoor air quality, and cost.
- Where feasible, use central HVAC air handling units (AHUs) that serve multiple rooms in lieu of unit ventilators or individual heat pumps. Although there are many different types of air handling units, for general IAQ implications in schools, air handling units can be divided into two groups: unit ventilators and individual heat pump units that serve a single room without ducts; and central air handling units that serve several rooms via duct work. Unit ventilators and heat pumps have the advantage of reduced floor space requirements, and they do not recirculate air between rooms. However, it is more difficult to assure proper maintenance of multiple units over time, and they present additional opportunities for moisture problems through the wall penetration and from drain pan and discharge problems. Central air handling units have a number of advantages as compared to unit ventilators and heat pumps serving individual rooms. They are:
- Quieter, and therefore more likely to be turned on or left on by teachers and staff;
- Less drafty due to multiple supplies and a return that is away from occupants;
- Better at controlling humidity and condensed moisture drainage;
- Easier to maintain due to reduced number of components and few units to access;
- More space around units and can be accessed without interfering with class activities;
- Space for higher efficiency air filters, and more surface area;
- Made of heavier duty components;
- Less likely to have quantity of outdoor air supply inadvertently reduced.
Air Filtration for Heating-Ventilation-Air-Conditioning
In addition to “atmospheric dust,” airborne particulates can include pollen, mold (fungal) spores, animal dander, insect proteins, pesticides, lead, and infectious bacteria and viruses. Designers can integrate features into the ventilation system that will provide benefits for the school occupants as well as the efficiency and longevity of the HVAC system. In addition, these features can reduce the need for expensive cleaning of the duct work and air handling units.
- Air filters should have a dust-spot rating between 35% and 80% or a Minimum Efficiency Rating Value (MERV) of between 8 and 13. The higher the rating, the better the protection for the equipment and the occupants. It has been estimated that a 30% increase in static pressure across a coil results in a $200 per 10,000 cfm of air movement (at 7 cents per KWH). This does not include the added cost of cleaning dirty heating or cooling oils, drain pans, or air ducts. Designers should consider specifying a low efficiency (~10%) pre-filter upstream of the main filters. The pre-filters are generally easy and inexpensive to change, and will capture a significant amount of the particulate mass in the air thereby extending the useful life of the more expensive main filters. See ASHRAE Standard 52.2-1999 Method of Testing General Ventilation Air Cleaning Devices for Removal Efficiency by Particle Size available at www.ashrae.org
Place a Request Now To Help You
- How To Never Hire The Wrong Company
- 8 Requirements For Your HVAC Contractors
- What does “Satisfaction Guarantee” really say about your contractor
- Avoid Marketing Scams
Please share with your family and friends. Thank you.
Business Reviews and Ratings – 11
Ken Sproul Singer – Toronto
Toronto singer-songwriter. Become a fan!
Global Warming: Agree or Disagree
Global warming is the rise in the average temperature of Earth’s atmosphere and oceans since the late 19th century and its projected continuation. Since the early 20th century, Earth’s mean surface temperature has increased by about 0.8 蚓 (1.4 蚌), with about two-thirds of the increase occurring since 1980. Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, and scientists are more than 90% certain that it is primarily caused by increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases produced by human activities such as the burning of fossil fuels and deforestation.
Dr. Robert McClure
He graduated from the University of Toronto with a Bachelor of Medicine in 1922. In 1923, he was appointed a medical missionary to Henan, China and served until 1948. He was the only medical missionary in India and China who was able to provide radium treatment for cancer. He was also on the staff of the Church Missionary Society Hospital at Gaza, Palestine
We are your #1 source for Rustic Lighting including Faux Antler Chandeliers, Rustic Ceiling Fans, Lodge Ceiling Fans, Faux Antler Ceiling Fans, Wagon Wheel Lighting are many other types of Rustic Lighting at the lowest prices.
Visit their website
Both men and women enjoy receiving gift baskets and sending one to a business associate is an appropriate way of showing appreciation, saying congratulations and acknowledging important occasions and milestones. Gift giving strengthens relationships and builds loyalty and we take our role in that very seriously. Elegantly presented and filled with premium quality gourmet foods and treats, our gift baskets are customizable to express your sentiments precisely and to make a positive and lasting impression on your clients, suppliers and business associates. Visit us online and shop securely at Healthy Gourmet Gifts.
Custom Stone Work in Dallas-Fort Worth – Action Stone and Concrete can assist you in creating that dramatic hardscape you desire using stone. Whether it be a grande fireplace, stone patio, pool waterfall or stone wall, Action Stone & Concrete in Dallas-Fort Worth can create the picture perfect solution.
J.Vincent Concrete Contractors Inc. is greater Philadelphia’s premier stamped concrete contractor specializing in commercial and residential stamped concrete patios, sidewalks, pool decks, steps and driveways.
The main purposes of a Heating-Ventilation-Air-Conditioning (HVAC) system are to help maintain good indoor air quality.